Sunday, April 15, 2012

t-minus 46 days

I've felt a call on my life to go to Africa since before I really understood what having a call on your life meant. I remember hearing about missions trips and just feeling my heart burn. It was always quickly crushed by a deep frustration, because I didn't think I'd ever be able to go on a mission trip. I thought mission trips were for "missionaries." I had no idea that God calls us to "go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." (Matthew 28:19) 

I had no idea that we are called to be missionaries the day we say yes to Jesus! Praise God that Jesus told me who I was later on down the road and gave me a mission that extended to far beyond what I ever thought I was "allowed" to do! I feel called to show children the love of God and if that means going to the ends of the earth, then I'm doin it! (My parents would want me to add that if that means staying in America, then I will do that too! Haha.)

I remember my junior year of high school, I was at a girls group one night and the leader barely mentioned that she might organize a trip to Africa later that year. I'm so embarrassing, I tried to talk to her about it afterwards and then quickly realized how much more it meant to me than I thought, and couldn't even really talk to her about it because I just started crying. Everything within me groaned to go. I didn't have any organizations in mind, any cause, any anything. I just knew I was supposed to be there and was so frustrated that it seemed so distant and difficult to attain. 

But. Jesus knows the desires of our hearts. A year later, Tom announced that he was going back to Kenya to stay, and he would take some of the upperclassmen with him for a mission trip. Honestly, I did not really honor my parents at this point. I acted like I was pretty entitled to go, and fought any opposition for me going. I have since repented and we've talked about it, and they're incredible. Anyways. 19 seniors and juniors played packing tetris and got everything we'd need for 2.5 weeks into one suitcase (each. hah.) and left on the biggest plane I'd ever seen. It's hilarious that I thought I had a clue what the trip would be like. Jesus blows expectations out of the water every time.


 This might be one of my favorite pictures in the world. Lord, let it be one day! 
They loooveee the crazy faces. 

 Pardon me while I get attacked by a sheep. (far right)
 The view out of one of the windows of the classroom we taught in. 




 These girls are incredible.


Pray for: 
Tom and his family
ACO staff
everyone's travel plans

No comments:

Post a Comment