Thursday, April 4, 2013

My watch reminds me of Jesus.

I looked down at my watch today and heard some sweet, simple revelation from Jesus.


Any time I look at my watch, I know I'm going to see what time it is. It might not always be the time I expected to see, and the time I see might make me nervous, or excited. But I always see what time it is.

Any time I look at my watch, I'm brought back to reality. No matter what, if my watch says 7pm, it IS 7pm. Even if I think the sky is too dark for 7pm, or I feel like not enough time has gone by to be 7pm. Yup. Still 7pm.

If you were to approach me and ask for the time, I would confidently look down at my watch, expecting to see the time. I would probably never try to guess what time it was. Why do that when I could just look? I don't have to stress over figuring out how many hours and minutes have gone by in the day. You don't need to hear what time I think it is. You need to know the actual time.

When I'm not looking at my watch, I completely trust that the time is being shown on its face. Even though sometimes my world is too loud for me to hear its tickings and beeps, I know it's working. I can't see the individual gears or wires on the inside, but I know that its innerworkings are consistent. A watch doesn't know how to not be consistent, or how to do other things besides be a watch. A watch has to be a watch, so I can trust that it's a watch. Ya trackin with me?

If I were to stare at my watch, I could start matching my every day life to the rhythm of its seconds. The more I stared at it, the more I would become familiar with the rhythm. Maybe I would even start to move to its rhythm without thinking about it as much. Then people could look at me and see a rhythm that they want for themselves, instead of seeing Mary Beth. They could have the rhythm if they really want it, because it's consistent and it's just as much for them as it is for me. Even if they're having a hard time (no pun intended. haha.).



Anytime I hear God's voice, I know I'm going to see His goodness. It might not always be in the timing that I expected, and it might make me nervous, or excited. But I'll always hear His voice eventually and see His goodness. John 10:27; Psalms 31:19; Job 33:14

Any time I turn my attention to what the Holy Spirit is doing, I'm brought back to reality. No matter what, if He makes a promise, He makes a promise. Even if I look around and feel like things are too this or that for it to happen, or it's not in my timing. Yup. His promises are "Yes" and "Amen." 
2 Corinthians 1:20

If you were to ask me for prayer or guidance, I could confidently ask God, knowing that He will speak what you really need to hear. It wouldn't make sense to just try to pray over you what I think you need, from my own strength. Why do that when I could just ask God? You don't need to hear what I'm saying. You need to hear what God's saying. Matthew 10:19-20; Matthew 6:6-8

When I don't feel like I'm hearing God clearly, or at all, I can completely trust that He's with me, watching and waiting. Even though sometimes I let my perceptions of what's going on around me become louder than His voice, I know He's still speaking. I can't see what all He's doing, but I know that His character is consistent. He can't not be who He is, so I can trust that He's always faithful, always good, always in love with me, always working all things together for the good of those who love Him, etc. Deuteronomy 31:8; James 1:17; Job 33:14; Romans 8:28

If I were to stare at Jesus, I could start matching my everyday life to the movements of His heart. The more I stared at Him, the more I would know Him. Maybe I would even start to match my life to the movements of His heart more easily, out of hunger and love and knowing He's worth it. Then people could look at me and see more of the true, deep, consuming love of Jesus and want it for themselves, instead of just seeing Mary Beth. They could have Him if they really want Him, because He's in love with them. He's consistent and He loves them just as much as He loves me, regardless of where they've been or what they've done. 1 John 2:5-6; Romans 5:8; 1 John 4:19; Luke 19:10; Acts 10:34-35; Proverbs 8:17

No comments:

Post a Comment